Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Concealers – a quick review!



When I asked you guys what you’d like to see me write about, so many of you mentioned concealers that I just can’t stay away from the topic. Mind you, I’m not a huge concealer junkie – I think it’s one of those things that you need to find whatever works for you and just stick to it. And let me just say that all of the reviews here will be mainly positive, since I’ve had quite a bit of luck on the concealing side. So let’s jump right in!


Makeup revolution concealer (Fair)


I picked up this shade since I wanted something that would also act like a subtle highlight underneath my eyes (you know - the triangle trick). It has a bit of pink undertone but is still lighter than my natural face shape. I bought this on Licila.si for a bargain price of about 2 €. It also comes in the natural shade, and in the last few months, they also added a new line of Makeup revolution concealers called Focus & Fix, which I need to try as well. 


Anyway, I just use this underneath my eyes since I don’t really have any breakouts to take care of very often and the shade would be much too light for that. Consequently, I cannot judge the staying power on the face, but it doesn’t budge at all underneath the eyes. The only thing that slightly bothers me is that it’s quite a dry formula and if you don’t set it with a good powder, it will probably crease on you, more so if you have some fine lines under your eyes. 


Still, for the price, it’s a great concealer and I would repurchase it. The packaging is nice and sturdy (even though all of the writing came of quite quickly) and looks pretty nice as well. Applicator: doe shaped.


Maybelline Fit Me concealer (10 – Light)


Again, this is one of the concealers that could go in the “Youtube made me buy it” category. But I’m glad I did. It’s the only concealer in my collection right now that I can actually use on my face if I have to, since it’s a match to my skin tone as well as my undertones. 


What I particularly enjoy about this product is how well it blends – you need to put a minimal amount of effort in it in order to completely blend it in. It’s a full coverage concealer. If you want something for highlighting, I would stay away from this, since “Light” really isn’t that light at all, and it’s the lightest shade in the range. 


I bought this at a UK website (maybe Asos?) and if I remember correctly, it set me back about 10 €. The packaging is similar to the one of the Makeup Revolution concealer and so is the wand. 


Pixi Concentrate concealer (Adaptable Beige)


I’ve talked about this particular concealer already in my February Favorites (click!). Just to sum things up – a great concealer for underneath the eyes, since it covers the dark circles like a dream. It’s more yellow based, so it directly counteracts those dark blue and purple colors that appear under our tired eyes. The one thing I’ve started to notice though is that it is a very dry formula so I must really hydrate my under-eye area well before I apply it, otherwise no amount of setting powder prevents it from creasing after a couple of hours.


I’m not a big fan of the glass jar packaging, since I have to get my finger in there (I really need to buy a spatula, but where?!). The price was similar to the Maybelline concealer, about 10 €, but this was on sale at Lookfantastic.


Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat (Luminous Ivory)


This was a recent gift from a friend (who I really need to buy another coffee/glass of wine) who did a huge shopping spree abroad. This costs about 35 € on Feelunique website, so it’s not your everyday drugstore concealer. But I promised myself I won’t keep it in my closet for “special occasions”, but rather really attempt to use it. 


Anyway, this really is a highlighting concealer if I ever saw one. It’s a beige shade that I use to highlight under my eyes as well as for some contour (bridge of the nose, between the eyebrows , top of my forehead, cupid’s bow and on my chin). The formula is very lightweight and blends out beautifully – I use it with my RT sponge and I’ve never had an issue.         



The packaging is great because it’s very sturdy and I wouldn’t worry about it getting broken or opening by chance. You dispense the product by clicking on the bottom below and it comes out through the brush applicator. The applicator itself makes for a very precise tool, so you can get the product exactly where you want it. 


Here are some swatches.


Top to bottom: MUR, Maybelline, Pixi, YSL



Final verdict: I love all of my concealers and I’ll use all of them up for sure. The only issue I have is the price of the YSL concealer, so I’ll work on finding a dupe for that one that that would also be available in Slovenia.  I did a quick search and the duplicates suggested are L’Oreal Magic Lumi, Milani HD Advanced and Maybelline DeamLumi Touch. I haven’t tried any of these yet so I can’t really vouch for it, but maybe some of you have a good alternative for me?


Until next time, stay beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Maybelline Fit Me obstaja tudi v svetlejšem odtenku, št. 15.
    Glede YSL kopije sem pa imela pred časom nekaj podobnega od Art Deco, ampak ne vem če je izdelek še na voljo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadja, ta moj je št. 10. Kolikor gledam na tej strani - http://www.maybelline.com/Products/Face-Makeup/Concealer/fit-me-concealer.aspx - mi deluje najsvetlejši. Je pa res zelo temen za to, da bi bil najsvetlejši :P

      Ravno včeraj mi je pa tašča prinesla nov katalog od Avona, kjer je en podoben YLS, tako da je že naročen. Ardeco pa zelo, zelo slabo poznam, če sem čisto iskrena. Poročam!

      Delete