Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

FRIDAY SUPERSTAR: Kat Von D Shade & Light Contour Palette

I've been promising to do a review of this palette for ages, since it's my go-to contour palette which I use on a daily basis. You can also tell from the photos below it's being well loved. So I decided that I'll do a quick review with swatches on a Friday, since this palette is absolutely a favorite of mine. 


The palette is unfortunately hard to come by if you're from Europe. It's sold at Sephora for 46 $ which is a reasonable price IMO considering the amount of product you're getting (it's about 2,3g of lighter shades and twice as much for the darker ones). 


The packaging itself is a cardboard one with the famous Kat Von D lettering. It has a magnetic closing system all around the palette. I find this palette brilliant for traveling, since there is no way it will break on you. I also love the huge mirror inside. On the downside, the cardboard gets quite dirty so if you hate to clean your make-up all the time to keep it pretty, that's one thing to keep in mind. 


The three highlight shades in top row all start with the letter L which stands for Light: Levitation, Lyric and Lucid (left to right). The contouring shades below all start with the letter S for Shade: Subconscious, Shadowplay, Sombre (left to right). Quite clever, right? 

All of the shades are matte and quite well pigmented. I heard that some users had trouble with kick-out, but I haven't noticed anything as long as I use a soft brush. The formulation is really buttery though so if you have a rough brush you will inevitably cause denting. 

As you can see from the photo above, I'm partial to Lyric (top middle) for highlighting (also on my brow bone) and Subconscious (bottom left), but I also use both highlight shades under my eyes occasionally and the Shadowplay as a regular bronzer. The only shade that's way too dark for me is Sombre which is why I use it for my brows so it doesn't go to waste. 

The swatches were done without primer and with a face primer (W/P). Lucid is a bit more peachy and Levitation is a nice pink nude, while Lyric represents the true yellow powder in this palette, which is why it's the one I prefer. 


Subconscious is a dark brown, but works best on me for contouring. Shadowplay is a warmer brown color and Sombre is a true taupe but as I mentioned, too dark for me and probably most of the population. 


I can easily say that this is my favorite contouring palette, and I've tried quite a few. If you can get your hands on it, I would recommend it to anyone who's on the hunt for the perfect all-in-one palette which will last you a long, long time. 

Until next time, stay beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment